- 500g/1 lb 2 oz strong white flour, sifted
- 6g sachet fast-action dried yeast
- 2 tsp sea salt flakes
- 3 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for brushing
- 350ml/12 fl oz lukewarm water
- 85g/3 oz thinly sliced italian salami
- 175g/6 oz cheese (mozzarella, feta, chedar) chopped
- 25g/1 oz basil leaves
- 2 red peppers, roasted, peeled, deseeded and sliced
- freshly ground black pepper
Mix the flour, yeast and 1/2 tsp salt, then stir in the oil with enough water to make a soft dough.
Knead the dough on a floured surface for about 10 minutes.Cover and leave in a warm place for 1 hour, or until doubled in volume.
Knead lightly for 2-3 minutes until smooth.Cover and leave for 10 minutes more.
Roll out the dough to a rectangle about 38x25 cm/15x10 inch in size, 1cm / 1/2inch thick.
Preheat the oven to 200*C/400*F/Gas Mark 6.Spread the salami over the dough and top with the cheese, basil and peppers.Season with black pepper.
Grease a baking sheet.Roll the dough up firmly from the long side, pinch the ends and place on the baking sheet.Join underneath.Cover and leave for 10 minutes.
Pierce the roll deeply several times with a skewer.
Brush with oil and sprinkle with the remainig salt.Bake in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes, ot until firm and golden.Cool on a wire rack.
Serve the bread fresh and warm, cut in to thick slices.